My Food Storage Deals: Caselot Fun and Confessions!

Caselot Fun and Confessions!

>> Wednesday, April 14, 2010




(My friends showing off their 'loot' after our caselot shopping adventure!)

Do any of you love case lot time as much as I do? Case lot sales make me giddy inside--call me weird! Here in Utah we have them at least twice a year and this week they are going on at Macey's and Smiths. For those of you who have a Smith's near by (Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, etc.), check out their ad and see if their case lot sale is continuing this week as well. They have some GREAT deals on many items this week!

For those of you who do not like grocery shopping, like my cute friend Amanda, try going with friends, it makes ALL the difference! Shopping is always more fun when you have good company! So..find a friend, login to our website to see what the best deals are, and off you go for a fun girls adventure.
Where is my food you ask? How did I go case lot shopping and only buy 1 case of black beans and some wheat? Well, I have to confess something...I am addicted to buying food storage. Being at a case lot sale for me is heaven on earth--food, good deals, the feeling of being prepared, etc., it all comes together for a good ol' fashion fun time for me. Well..after a heart to heart with my husband and our checkbook, we realized this addiction I have with buying food storage. Does anyone else have this problem out there? There is something SO fun about getting good deals and being prepared.
So, with the encouragement of my husband (my PATIENT husband!), I have decided to challenge myself and only spend $100 for the next three months on groceries. This should be okay since I have food storage (plenty!) and three freezers bursting at the seams. I will keep you posted on how my 'new' budget goes--so far I am doing pretty well, but I still have half the month left--yikes!

If any of you have tips on sticking to a food budget, or any other advice you could have for me, feel free to leave a comment! Deals to Meals of course will help you know what to buy and how to cook with the food that is on sale...I just need someone to come with me and say "buy 3 of these items instead of 20"--haha!

So, whether or not you have $100 to spend this month on groceries like I do, or you are taking your tax return and shopping up a storm--I wish you luck on your case lot shopping! Have fun saving money, shopping, being with friends, and getting that natural high that comes from being prepared...all within a reasonable budget--right??
Here are a few pictures from Diana's (my sister & Calif. rep) Girls Night out of Case Lot Shopping--SO FUN!

9 comments:

Diana April 14, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

I just went case lot shopping with friends over the weekend. And yes we also took pictures! I will email them too you. We were so proud of our deals! You are the best...Keep up the great work and encouragement!

Julene April 14, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

I am so glad that I am not the only one who feels giddy about a good case lot sale. I a like a kid on Christmas morning. The only way that I can stick to our $300 amonth budget for 7 people is to use cash. Once it is gone, it's gone. It makes me hold out for the next sale,especially when I know I need $10 a week for milk. Good luck and know that we could form a support group. FDAA, food storage addicts anonymous :)

Trimble April 15, 2010 at 8:02 AM  

Oh, I'm totally with you. Case lot sales make me so happy!

Larsen Family April 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

what are case lot sales and how do you find out if a store has one?
danceacc4@Hotmail.com
Jen

carrieandrob April 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

thanks for always keeping your blog new and so informative!! i always check to see what's going on. I love your recipes and obvious enthusiasim that you have for amazing deals and food storage!! thanks again!!

TLeaves April 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

No case lot sales here in Western PA. A local grocer has a Thur/Fri "truckload" sale every month or two for a handful of items, but Sam's Club beats the prices sometimes -- unless I have coupons. Looking at the storage you have, I think it's VERY excessive. I grow and can some of our food and store basics like flour, grain, sugar, pasta, powdered milk and eggs, canned fruit, etc. But I don't go crazy about it. Instead of buying boxes and bags of premaid junk, it's just as easy to make it from scratch. Probably more cost effective, too. Plus, with Passover for some of us, storing too much food with leavening means throwing it away if it doesn't get used. I think you all need to detox a little. In a way I feel you're saying you have no faith that God will provide in your time of need. You may not be able to take it with you when you go. "Remember Lot's wife." (Luke 17) Plus, you're putting it out there nationally and now you have a big fat "X marks the spot" on your home. Good luck.

Jodie Cheshire April 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

You know what I do when I want to save money at the grocery store? I send my husband! Haha! Did you know that if you only buy what is on your list you can save money at the store!LOL! I think I'm like you. I like a great deal!
I think that when people stumble upon your blog and haven't read alot of your posts they don't realize what a great cook your are and how you make ALOT of your food from scratch. I think your blog is great and my food storage has grown in leaps and bounds since becoming a member over a year ago. We even built nice shelves in our storage room. Even before becoming a member of Deals to Meals, I've always taken seriously the lesson taught in the Old Testament of the seven years of plenty and the seven years of famine that Joseph was warned about. Keep up the wonderful work!

Julene April 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

Yes God will provide and we have faith that he will. He has also asked us to prepare and our belief is that we are doing what he asks. Who is to say that our preparation won't help many families in time of need? I know I am able to donate to food banks because of my storage. This is my belief and not this blogs. I just couldn't read the previous comment without saying how I feel. I too cook from scratch and you need those items as well in your storage. I for one, do not want to be in a situation where my children would be in want of food. To each his own, but I will store food and supplies for my family so that I will be able to help others.

Jodie Cheshire April 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

Well said Julene! I was able to help a neighbor with his eagle scout project this week because of our storage! It was actually toilet paper that he needed (don't want to be without that!). Also this week I had the flu. We all know what it is like when mom has the flu. We also have kids in spring soccer and my husband works full time. So it was nice to fix some simple meals from my food storage: soup,sandwiches, mac and cheese etc. The kids were happy and fed and it wasn't a bad week. I think the blessings of being prepared are endless. I'm grateful for the direction and advice this site gives me. It helps! Oh BTW I bought the powdered eggs mentioned a few posts ago and used them in a cake mix and I couldn't taste a difference! I love the things I learn here!

Deals to Meals KSL TV News Story

Three Easy Steps to Food Storage

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP